Thursday, February 23, 2006

Singles

Recently, I borrowed one of Cameron Crowe's classic, 'Singles'. I was only 14, and grunge was the fad, I fell in love with the soundtrack before watching the film, in the soundtrack you could find all sorts from Jimi Hendrix, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Smashing Pumpkins and the legendary Mother Love Bone.

We were one of those who got into the bermudas and Dr Martens look, with flannel madness plus the dirty/smelly jeans. The power of pop culture can influence the action of the consumer somehow.

Before I discovered Jobim, I thought America had all the best music in the world, but well, I was wrong....anyway, as foolish at it gets, grunge was the centrifugal development of my youth, and I can't blame myself for that. The best is to reminisce and laugh at it, but you can't deny the fact Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger was a classic, and Grunge no matter how over-rated the hype was (and I have to blame MTV for this). It is still part of our history.

Go watch Singles or get the soundtrack, listen to Drown by The Smashing Pumpkins.

No matter where you are, I can still hear you when you drown
You've traveled very far Just to see you I'll come around, when I'm down
All of those yesterdays
Coming around
No matter where you are, I can still hear you when you dream
You traveled very far
You traveled far, like a star
And you are
All of those yesterdays
Coming around
Is it something someone said?
Was it something someone said?
Yesterday the sky was you
And I still feel the same
Nothing left for me to do
And I still feel the same
I wish, I wish I could fly
I wish, I wish I could lie
I will, I will try
I will, I will
Goodbye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home