Monday, August 27, 2007

The Death of Pumpkins

I have to admit that I was one of those teenage angsters back in the early 90s who listened to loads of American 'Alternative' music. Smashing Pumpkins was one of them, and one of their favourite albums for me would be Siamese Dream.

I still remember listening to them almost every morning on the way to school, and that was the era of cassette tapes and walkmans, mind you. Cassette tapes cost only $8.50, and you can get good albums from Supreme Records, Roxy or Dada, back then there were no IPODS and MP3s. As you know CDs cost about $25. For that price, you can actually get a cheap 'kapok' guitar from Davis Guitar Shop down at Peninsular Plaza.

Coming back to The Smashing Pumpkins, yes, I love them. I was there when they performed at the Harbour Pavillion in '96 or maybe '95, I can't really recall. I remember I was chased out of the hall for crowd surfing, and that was fucked up, I used to have this big shoulder length hair (everyone wanted to look like Kurt Cobain back then) and all I remember was that I was pulled by the hair and thrown out of the hall. The gig was not really awesome actually, in fact, I think they cut their set short because Billy Corgan had food poisoning or something.

Fast forward to 2007, the Pumpkins new album, 'Zeitgeist', I took a listen recently, and I felt it is a really shitty album, and I am super disappointed, I thought Tarantula had a promising intro but the rest of the songs were just bad alternative music mashed up and trying to be hip in these era of indietronica.

And of course, its either I am geting old for this music, or Billy Corgan is running out of ideas and still cashing in on this whole bleak period of bad music. I think I am going to give up thinking that I am still living in the era of alternative rock. On a personal level, rock is polluted with recycled sound from the past....

Like they say, when you are in doubt, go back to the classics, they never will never fail you....so at this moment
Stevie Wonder 's Song in The Key of Life is on my list.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elias said...

zeitgeist is a shitty album, amen to that. billy oh billy.

2:39 PM  
Blogger TIRAMISU said...

Hey Mr Blue, yeah truly... its the 90s residue mate... same old boring shit...

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home