Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Nostalgic Rock n Roll

After 7 years of performing, I still do get emotionally drained after a performance, this is something that I can't explain. Yesterday was fruitful and long, started the day with a KYTV talk at my ever 'exciting' alumni, LaSalle-SIA College of The Arts. It was pretty strange actually, walking through familiar corridors and seeing arty students doing their work.

I haven't been there for quite a while actually, but there's this thing about nostalgia, they could never be erased from your head.

My time in LaSalle 3-5 years ago was a really amazing one, fell in love, formed a band and made great friends; there is no doubt the art college changed me no matter how much I sometimes feel like there were more things I could have done there. The best thing about being an art student was that, you could make as many mistakes as possible.

Met Jae a mass comm student from NTU at Mosi Cafe down at Haji Lane whom i'm helping out in his inter-cultural project on 'Mat' theory. SO for a good 45 minutes, I blabbered about this whole 'Mat' concept which I thought I went a little bit out of point, till I saw the real 'Mat' maestro Adi Yadoni and invited him for the interview but he was too busy finding ways to repair his laptop.

The Soundcheck at Bar None was pretty annoying I would say, I think Security Guards and Soundmen are pretty similar, they feel they possesed a kind of a super maha yoghi possesive/power trip equalities. The difference is that soundmen don't have to carry batons. I am not sure if this is making sense, but I'm sure along the way it will do.

I had fun on stage last night, though I almost felt my head was in between two concrete walls before the set. There is just something electrifying about the stage at Bar None, I am not sure why, I love playing in a space where it is compact and intimate, the energy from the audience felt all so compressed and could be transmitted straight into my soul.

I have been exploring this idea of handle bar moustache in the past couple of Tiramisu performances, maybe its a reflection of how an aging youth would look like, or maybe I just love the sensation of body paint smearing down the pores.

When the stage is set, the space is where you mutilate your agony, vomitting every ounce of your soul, expose the unexposed, letting chances happened and sharing the joy of melody making. It is really not all about perfecting songs from Santana and make them sound really joyful to hear.(no pun intended)

Rock and roll could never happen without nostalgia, but one thing for sure no matter how old you get, its the spirit of pouring your guts out. Life is a celebratory affair when you know you can still move to the thumping beats of rebellion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I call your moustache thingie Rizman's Freddie Mercury persona

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home