Saturday, February 24, 2007

Osaka: The Aftermath

I always have this strange feeling when I come back home from a trip to somewhere. It is like as if the dream is about to end, and here am I again back to reality in Singapore. Here in reality land, you have to find your own per diem, adding to that, there is phone bill, rent, school, human relationship and strange rivalry.

Here I am a minority, there, I was an exotic creature. And of course the classic, some of them thought there are only Chinese in Singapore, yes of course, being a delegate from Singapore I had to be a responsible Malay Singaporean and explained to them about the ancestral roots and existence of a Malay like me in Singapore. But well, its all about cultural exchange and experience.

There was one night, I had dinner with friends from Indonesia, Korea and Japan. One continent, 4 countries and 4 different languages. Well basically, I can understand Bahasa Indonesia, while the Korean and the Japanese had a hard time communicating with each other. However this Japanese lady, speaks fluent Bahasa.

SO basically, in order for her to communicate to the Korean, she had to speak Bahasa to me so that I could translate to her in English. Mishaps and mishapes. To think of it, Korea and Japan are so close to each other but their language is so far apart.

The festival was interesting and exciting at the same time. Partly due to the different range of performers on the bill, Something that you would not have expected in a Contemporary Dance Festival.

On the last day of performance, we had audience filling up till the edge of the stage. It was fantastic, the energy was bursting all over the place. Sharing the dressing room with dancers from different nations, cracking jokes and spurring everyone to break a leg.

Walking around the streets in Sinsai Bashi, which really felt like a scene from Blade Runner as pointed by Yuya. Being taken care by Oshin in an Oshin’s house, got hold of an old school Vans, shopping at 100 Yen shop and had a varied taste of great Japanese cuisine, strange and the familiar.

Very Rock and Roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home