Friday, June 08, 2007

The Artful Day


The Swiss Pavillion


Hyperbolic Alpha Male in Venice, Orange Bar, San Margherita.


Venice, Italy
Friday, 8th June 2007
11:45hrs

As you can see, I am getting lazier in updating this blog partly because I am just too tired to keep up with things. The performance went alright, the fact that it was in a small space, and many did not get to see it. The opening of the Singapore pavilion was good, as the food was superb, I was surprised to see so many people.

I met Karen, a friend who is studying in Milan, came all the way to Venice to attend the opening, there is Colin and Karee, June Yeo, Juliana Yasin and other Singaporeans.

Coincidentally, the opening coincided with the degree show in Lasalle, so basically, my supervisor also known as Vincent Leow congratulated Robert and myself, and yes, it became such ‘a self-congratulating’ experience.

Ok all swell, San Margherita was where I performed, the atmosphere was great, I overheard a conversation, in Venice, there are artists and architects, the rest are all tourists.

This morning, we decided to do the whole art tourist thing at the main pavilion, or also known as the Giardini Biennale, where all the permanent pavilions are situated. I have never seen such an event being attended by so many people at one go. And it is so strict that they have to scan your card to get in.

Of course, there were many new works by the legends in the show curated by Robert Storr, there were Gerhard Richter, Sigmar Polke, Tracy Emin, Felix Gonzalez Torres where people were taking the free posters from the gallery like vultures gnashing in flesh of meat.

There are so many openings in the garden that you might never know you might just bump into a Turkish opening or whatsoever. This is the mecca of art, and after seeing all the works, you can’t help but to feel and ask yourself what have I been doing all these years? Have I been inspired or is it time to re-analyse my practice.

We got the news that Scissor Sisters will be doing the opening for the German Pavillion tonight at Lido, this was while I was buying gelato at Giardini from a group of American journalists who were going to gatecrash the party.

This is how it works, nobody really knows about the major openings, its either through the word of mouth, or insider’s information. People go to the party for loads of freebies, I got a catalogue from the Dutch Pavillion just by exchanging it with my namecard. But of course, if you are from the press you get more freebies. Like tote bags, t-shirts, badges of the different pavillions, so you can imagine, how crazy the situation is.

There are pavilions where you have to queue to get in, it is completely insane but an eye opener for me.

After close to 6 hours of looking at works ranging from objects, videos, paintings, installations, sculptures and many other things… we got really tired and decided to head home earlier, too many parties, too much to digest….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home