Friday, February 03, 2006

Finding Billy Elliot

Yesterday, I had to struggle all the way to Northern part of Singapore in a neighbourhood school to teach students how to appreciate dance/movement, and this is going to be a routine twice a week for me for the next 12 weeks or so. But nevertheless, though I was tired, I enjoyed myself, showing them the basic method of stretching. For all the classes I asked them all the same questions.

Anyone of you love to dance?
No, they are for gays and sissies.

Is walking a form of dance?
Some say yes and some say no.

What do you want to learn from this programme?
Hip hop and break dance.

When I was in Secondary School, I wish they had this kind of programme, I knew I was active in some sense but the only way to understand the body was from boring Physical Education classes. Well I guess that is why our energy all wasted in making teachers cry and giving them high blood pressure.

When you were a teenager, the only form of understanding a real dance was definitely Ballet and men in tights, as we grow older we realised that we have been so ignorant all our lives. We stop appreciating anymore. Art like life is always difficult to be appreciated, we are always caught up with all our worldly needs.

Let me wake up and breathe some good air, or it will be too late too soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cookiss99 said...

"Art raises its head where creeds relax. "-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen?  " -- Friedrich Nietzsche

I do not know what the spirit of a philosopher could more wish to be than a good dancer. For the dance is his ideal, also his fine art, finally also the only kind of piety he knows, his "divine service." --Friedrich Nietzsche

5:04 AM  
Blogger TIRAMISU said...

....Nietzche fan, must be a big fan of Jim Morrison I assume..hmmmm

9:06 AM  
Blogger Cookiss99 said...

Never ASSUME for it makes an ASS out of U and ME!...Muahahhhaah.. yeah I hate Nietzche's books but loVe his quotes!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home