Sunday, January 28, 2007

Nenek: In Remembrance


Nenek 1927 - 2007, In remembrance, Al-fateha

My nenek passed away last Saturday evening peacefully after battling ovary cancer for 5 years. I visited her a couple of times in the midst of my crazy schedule. She was always in high spirit even though she was bed ridden. Throughout her 80 years, she live through the war, married 3 times, had 11 children and above all, created my mother.

I had to rush by from my assesment which I have KIVed just to see her for one last time. As I saw her body, I could not recognise her at all, I kissed her forehead, it was cold, and her skin was yellow and pale.

In 2005, I did a video performance based on her and my mum, it was called Generation Lullabye, in one of the scene, she sang an old Japanese song which always fascinated me.

Its funny, we are always too busy working realising our dreams, sometimes we do forget to appreciate the existence of others, and I am one of those selfish people. At this moment, the sense of guilt is apparent, I need to sit and just ponder, reminisce about the times I had with nenek. And to spend more time with my mother.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ng Yi-Sheng said...

(Hugs). It's so great that you did that performance before she left - art doesn't have to be a demonstration of pomo theory; sometimes it's about love.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was battling ovary cancer for 9 years actually...she suffered that long..but im glad she left peacefully.

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home