Wednesday, January 17, 2007

We Are Invincible!


The not so energetic balloons floating by...at Fort Canning Hill.

I first heard MUSE when I was in college, it was from the Showbiz album, and a good friend of mine got a pirated copy of it. We played them in the studio and we got blown away. I would say MUSE was part of my post-teenage angst phase or whatever you wanna call it. You know the Hey-I-Am-A-Tormented-Soul phase.

Seeing them last night was pretty much a warm affair, warm in literal sense. I have not been to a rock concert for a long time, I stood about 30 metres from the stage, surrounded by new MUSE fans (I could tell by their anticipation when they sang the newer songs passionately) and there were a couple of beer guzzling old caucasian blokes who were so impressed with Matt Bellamy.

My first ever rock concert was Mudhoney/Pearl Jam in 1995, the thing I like about rock concerts is the ambience, like a near religious event or sort, the rock signs and the random banging of the head. I remembered the Pearl Jam gig at the indoor stadium, got drowned in the crowd and blocked by big and burly Caucasian Doodes were all part of my experience. Yes, I know, I was and still am short, its genetic, can't help it. But that event made me feel like as if I had grown into a Man. A Big short man. I knew that concert changed my life. Yes, I was almost in tears. Partly because, I had to break my piggy bank just to get the tickets.

Rock concerts are big theatrical experience, its all in the method of presentation. Hopefully, Flaming Lips will come, hopefully not when they are in their 60s. I would love to see Wayne Coyne walking in his bubble right above my head.

MUSE kicked ass, but I think what's missing is my youth.

INVINCIBLE by MUSE
Follow through
Make your dreams come true
Don't give up the fight
You will be alright
Cause there's no one like you in the universe

Don't be afraid
What your mind consumes
You should make a stand
Stand up for what you believe

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not forgetting that pearl jam gig in 1995 falls on the first day of hari raya.I can still remember the reaction of everyone when u said u were going to go watch concert instead of following us go visiting.N u got away with it!Damn u rebel.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Lounge Lizard said...

Yeah, I felt very disconnected from the show as well. Hmm...

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home