Monday, June 25, 2007

A Homely Weekend


A homely affair, from left me, Bushuk Strompol, Is Vicious (my former schoolmate), Rida, Jad and Saf the Kinematician.

It is the beginnig of a new semester for AMK sec, there I was looking at my students, all these 'booyah' kids of the internet generation, and kept telling myself these kids are so lucky to have creative movement as part of the syllabus. When I was in school, I had to learn recorder and practice Chan Ma Li Chan day in, day out

For the first lesson, I will normally start with an African proverb that I came across long time ago, "If you can talk you can sing, if you can walk, you can dance."

And for the last couple of years I will start with the question 'Is walking a form of dancing?' Some of them said no, some said yes, but in the end everyone just agreed that they have no choice but to participate in this class. SO I told them, based on Alexander technique, it is all about body awareness and having the confident to move freely in a space without feeling guilty. I love teaching, but waking up in the morning is like a different task altogether. Sometimes I mix and match methods to suit the class... but at the end of the day, it is about disseminating ideas and expose them to things which they have never heard of...

Last weekend, after a freaking long time, I finally got the chance to hang out with some friends. I am not sure where I have been, but I know the past 6 months or so I have been really busy working my ass out.

Rock for Wayne gig was pretty alright, and the fact that it was the first time after a long time that I have ever been to gigs, but I managed to catch Humpback Oak, the younger crowd did not really respond well to the Oakies. Nevetheless, they were a bit rusty for they got back together just for this gig, they played Circling Square and Ghostfather. How nice...

Its funny when you know that going to gigs are getting different now when you have to look around for familiar faces. I met people like Nigel Hogan, who looked really mellowed down and a few others. It felt like I am not Indie enough to be in an Indie situation. Or I have stopped being Indie because being or not being is already Indie indeed.

In the evening, a friend of mine, Yan was spinning at Home Club, and Home Club has changed, and I am not sure of how many transformation this place has gone through, from the Mad Monk's origin to the early Pop Tart to now, which is just to slick for comfort. It used to be crowded during weekends, but it was a vacant affair, is Singapore becoming more happening these days, or we are just spoilt for choice, I used to remember Zouk was an institution for some of us who grew up in the 90s. These days, going to Zouk is like a touch and go affair.

Probably time is ever changing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home