Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Yogyakarta the southern Soul

I am in an internet cafe not far from the art space, the office computer is down. Basically, down here people don't really find the need to use the Internet unless it is really necessary. Kar Fai is still doing some last minute technical run of The P.O.P Station at the gallery.

We have been working non-stop since the day we came, its partly because the gallery is just next to where we live. Singaporeans being Singaporeans, the staff have been digilently stayed up till late with us in the gallery.

The working hours is like 9am - 4pm, by 6pm, so 8 pm is like pretty late for some of them, some of the staff, they live in the outskirt of the city. Meaning they have to pass through some padi fields or such.

The laidback (or they call it 'santai') culture here is pretty dominant, as you walk down the streets, people just love chilling out and living their life. We were talking the other day, in Singapore we all so bounded with stress and deadlines. Time is the enemy, here everything seems so relax and casual. In Singapore to chill out is equivalent to wasting time.

Nevertheless, we have been really productive in the gallery, with the workshops and finding materials for the project. Here, People share things, equipments etc., the community is strong knit. In Singapore, individualism is the virtue, sometimes I do question how lucky we all are.

The food is simple too, in the evening we eat 'Pecel Lele', rice with veggie,crispy catfish and es jeruk (Lime Juice). A meal for one could feed 4 hungry human beings here. I am enjoying every second of my time here, Rizky said Yogyakarta is like SIngapore in the 50s, maybe he's right. I am in a time warp with my contemporary mind. (I think)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mister Spore said...

We are missing you! Heh heh.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i dunno why lar..miss this big feet big nut fan.. miss your comments on my blog..haha.. went to cobbler that day to mend my shoes, uncle cobbler says my shoes are long and big....

2:53 AM  
Blogger TIRAMISU said...

I miss all of you la...but its like I just came back from a time warp....got to get to know all of you again...

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home