Monday, May 07, 2007

Sound of Hope in A Minor


Robert's Plastic Baggy Tower in the studio.

I have decided the next couple of weeks I will be in solitary confinement preparing for 2 major events of my life, first will be the assesment next week, and followed by 72-13 residency in collaboration with Robert Guth and Venice Biennale ' Art Supastar' Zul Mahmod. Editing can be a lonely fair, I have equipped myself with chips and coffee, and feeding Paula lunch and dinner at the same time. My eyes have gone bonkers...

The last couple of weeks also I witnessed students' work, being part of the team of qualified lecturers assessing works by students which can be quite a dreary affair. It was quite an experience being behind the scene and seeing all these works. I had a conversation with a lecturer recently, we had a conversation about the Fine Art faculty which have at least 40 Fine Arts Students, upon graduation, at least 5 will continue practicing. After 3 years, only 2 will continue and the rest will disappear.

The Art world is a big game of deceit, pretence and bitchiness. Some people are in it for fame and glory, some people are in it because they want to be part of it, some people are in it because they want to find a partner to screw, of course some people are honest in what they do. I am in it because I can't see myself being anything else except for expressing my ideas. Yes, I am a living cliche... and expression is on par with masturbation. Then that makes me an expressive masturbator...

We do what we do because we love what we do... just like if you love wakeboarding or nature walk... or collecting stamps...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Thats why we call it Art and Lies.

Singapore art = 'Big' game of deceits, pretense and bitchiness? I beg to differ

Its really just child's play and a playground for presumptuous artists who can't censor themselves, fuelled by gallons of self-importance gases.

10:57 AM  
Blogger TIRAMISU said...

I think not only the Art World, but all the world we can ever imagine... its all about love and politics. We build this city of rock and roll, sometimes when we touch, the honesty is too much...

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home